Thursday, March 8, 2012

Get Your Green Thumb On

Thoughts of Spring and warmer weather have me aching to get all the prep work out of the way while patiently waiting for the first hydrangeas to bloom with either a cup of tea in hand or a Mojito, with fresh mint from my own garden of course.

                                Pinned Image    OR      Pinned Image
                                                                                   

This past weekend, I channelled my inner Martha Stewart, I think it had something to do with listening to her Sirius channel during a four hour drive, and was determined to prepare my outdoor area for the coming season. After hours of pruning back rose bushes, I am now wearing my thorn scratches like battle scars. Weeding became my middle name while getting the azaleas in tip-top shape that even my grandmother would be proud of.

Growing up, my parents were outside working in our backyard every single day. My Dad was busy with the mowing and sculpting of the shrubs while Mom was constantly tending to her flower, herb, and vegetable gardens. Our backyard was draped in color. I even had my own little garden that I took pride in. My favorite flowers were Snap Dragons and Lilies of the Valley. Both so different...one with vibrant colors and pizazz and the other so classic and delicate.

Enough rambling... want to get your own garden started? What if you live in an apartment? No problem at all. One of the hottest indoor and outdoor plants these days are succulents. They don't require much attention, but they look fantastic. Big or small, on the wall or in a bowl...I'm telling you these things are the coolest. I went down to our local nursery, picked out a terra cotta pot, and one of the workers was kind enough to walk around with me to pick out which plants would work best together. Now, I've seen these guys on West Elm, but let's try to shop locally.

Pinned ImagePinned Image

                 Pinned Image
 

Now, everyone wants fresh herbs. If you are starting out, it's best to have some potted herbs, so you can bring them in and out and take them with you easily when you move. I have used this fun project from Pinterest.

                          
Aloe! If you know me, then you know I don't tan...I burn and like no other. You better believe I will have some of this on tap.

Now, if you are looking to get serious with your gardening,  then please discover my best friends who at the same time don't know I exist... The Fabulous Beekman Boys. The "boys" have their own sustainable farm in up-state New York. I have signed up for their gardening e-mails that go out from March until November with updates on when and what to plant and also to keep you on schedule. It's not too late to start. Go check these guys out!
                                         
                           
Good luck and hopefully I will have some beautiful pictures to share soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment